People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do.
When someone is in your life for a REASON. It is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are!
They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part, or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered. And now it is time to move on.
Then people come into your life for a SEASON. Because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They bring you an experience of peace, or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season.
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons: things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person, and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.
(Not sure who wrote the above, but it is great regardless)

It can really hurt, when you think you have made a friend for a lifetime but instead it turns out they were only a reason or season friend. Other times it is a blessing in disguise that they serve a purpose in your life and you can move on. I find it is really impossible to try and figure out how long someone is going to be in my life. When I make a new friend, I don't consider what they are going to mean in my life and treat them as such. Instead, for my friends, my true blues, I'm there, I'm as there as I can be.

In the past few years, I know I've grown a lot into being a better friend. I can look back and see times where I was, inadvertently, a horrible friend. Whether it be because I was short sighted or because I simply didn't know any better, I can see where I've failed as a friend. Because of that, I made myself a reason or season friend, but I can also see which friends are still with me, perhaps for a lifetime.

I have this friend, currently, a truly amazing person. She has affected my life, more than she probably realizes in a manner of positive ways. She is beautiful inside and out and she has this open heart where she wants the best for those she loves. She has definently fulfilled a reason for being my friend. She has been around for numerous seasons and I hope that, no matter what may come, she will be a lifetime friend. Not only has my wardrobe profitted greatly by having her in my life, so have I in every way.

I don't know why I necessarily felt the need to write this. I know my friend has been super stressed out (happens when you have kids and work and try to have a life), but I just want my friend, all my friends really, to know that I care for them. Regardless of why they are in my life, I love my friends and I'm happy and beyond blessed for the people in my life I call "friend". I just hope that more reasons or seasons turn into lifetimers but, if not, that's okay as well.